Engine performance issues

Discussion in 'Volvo 850' started by Xenocide850, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Xenocide850

Xenocide850

I have a1996 Volvo 850 GLT with 100k miles. A few months ago started experiencing some performance issues. When driving, especially at highway speeds, the engine would intermittently lose power almost like it was momentarily seizing. Also very sluggish acceleration. Along with these issues I had a weak idle and I would occasionally stall out when stopping in drive. So first step was changing the air filter which didn’t really do anything. Next was replacing the MAF sensor. This resolved the performance issues but not the idle issue.
    I took out the IACV. Looked pretty clean and it rotated well. Gave it a shot of carb cleaner anyway to clean it completely. Next I checked the main vacuum tubes I can see without removing any engine components. Most look good, possibly replaced in the past.

The tube indicated with a red arrow in the attached pic definitely has a some damage. When I move it at all there’s a discernible hiss. The tube indicated in yellow doesn’t look so great either. Can anyone help with identifying these and whether they would cause idle issues?

Attached Files:

Xenocide850, Oct 6, 2023
Ask a Question