1986 245 won't raise rpms and keeps stalling at idle

Discussion in 'Volvo 240' started by 1986volvo245dl, Jan 6, 2019.

1. 1986volvo245dl

1986volvo245dl

Hi there my name is Ryan and this is my first post on this forum. I have a 1986 245 DL and I just changed the head gasket myself, as well as every other gasket i could come across in the process. I cleaned the head and mating surfaces extensively as the car had a crankshaft seal blow out 2 months prior (2 actually, intermediate and front) so there was a lot of mess left to clean up. I took great care to keep the timing perfectly at TDC when reinstalling.

The engine when it starts sounds great, the timing is perfect. I push on the accelerator and the engine will not raise rpms at all. The engine will also only stay running for maybe 10 or 20 seconds before stalling out. Ive confirmed compression, spark, fuel and air. The MAF is new and i verified it to be working still today. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap/rotor, coil, alternator. I suspect the hall effect sensor is bad but I cant find enough info to confirm it. I'm going to do the full hall seneor test as well as start testing voltage and resistance on the ignition computers connector today.

Looking for any advice from someone who has had a hall sensor fail or similar issues as i am having to hopefully gain some more insight into the problem. Can these sensors fail intermittently or go out over time? Or do they work or not work and no grey area?

First spark tests from HT wire off coil showed no spark but voltage was present at the coil. Then jumping 1st and 2nd pins on hall sensor connector brought spark back so i was convinced it was the hall effect sensor. Then next 3 times I tries to replicate test a day later and over next 3 days showed spark while everything was hooked up and no jumper on hall sensor connector. So mixed readings are making me think it may be the ignition computer.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1986volvo245dl, Jan 6, 2019
Ask a Question