Brake Rotor Replacement on 240

Discussion in 'Volvo 240' started by Nick Zervas, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Nick Zervas

Nick Zervas Guest

My front rotors on my '84 240 are slightly warped and I know I should replace them.
    I thought I could get the calipers out of the way without disconnecting the brake
    lines, but the last time I tried this, I felt I would damage the lines. There is
    enough give on the rear brake lines to get the calipers out of the way without
    disconnecting the lines. Does anyboody know the technique for replacing the front
    rotors without actually disconnecting the the lines from the calipers, or must I go by
    the book and disconnect with the implicit bleed?

Thanks and have a nice Labor Day!

NickZ - 293

Nick Zervas, Sep 3, 2004
  2. Nick Zervas

BigDick Guest

You do not need to disconnect any brake lines on any Volvo for pad or rotor
    replacement.
    On the front, just remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts, grab the caliper and
    gently wiggle
    and work it off of the rotor. The caliper will hang or stay to the inside
    just enough to stay
    out of the way.
    You will not damage or kink any of the brake lines.

BD

BigDick, Sep 5, 2004
  3. Nick Zervas

AB Guest

And if you can find a wire coat hanger you can make a wire hook to hook
    through the mounting bolt holes at one end and arund the spring at the
    other....

AB, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Nick Zervas

Nick Zervas Guest

David Williams, thank you for your e-mail. I tried replying but your mail server
    wouldn't accept your address. This just to say thanks for your tip: - NickZ

On Oct 2, 2004, at 12:07 AM, David williams wrote:

There is a way to get the rotors out with out disconnecting the lines but it will take
    more time than what it does to undo the lines and bleed them. If you really do not
    want to break the lines then look at the line support bracket on some 240/260 series
    this bracket is bolted to the shock absorber housing, undo these bolts and it creates
    enough clearance for to remove calipersk but beware of scraped knuckles and it does
    take longer as there is minimal room to swing a spanner when undoing the bracket
    bolts, you have to turn the spanner 1/4 turns only.

Nick Zervas, Oct 2, 2004
Ask a Question