Oil Change Needed - 2020 XC40 - 3700 Miles & Owned 1 Year?

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by DrueB, Oct 12, 2021.

1. DrueB

DrueB

I have a 2020 XC40, R Design, AWD, Polestar. I purchased it new 1 year ago, and I only have 3,700 miles on it. Do I need to change the oil because it is a year old? Or can I wait until the recommended change at 7,500 miles? The routine maintenance light is showing overdue. Thanks!

DrueB, Oct 12, 2021
  2. DrueB

PixelDust

No, wait! The manufacturer puts a special synthetic oil in at factory that has to go at least 7,500 miles before changing. I know it sounds fishy, but the engine has to be broke in with that same oil.

If not, your piston rings will most likely fail prematurely, and you get oil leaking passed them and into the cylinder.

PixelDust, Oct 23, 2021
    DrueB likes this.
  3. DrueB

PixelDust

Only that first oil change though. After that, 3k 3 months. The more frequent, the better. Bugger the extended oil change interval. They want you to buy another car at 100k miles, but don't want to cover piston rings under warranty. Trust me on this one.

PixelDust, Oct 23, 2021
    DrueB likes this.
Ask a Question